Tuesday, December 26, 2006

My take on media antics today

Before I go into my full on bashing mode let me just say that the media does do some good work. these just some things that bother me or things that are worth praise.

1. First of all, we should be happy that we have been gifted the Freedom of Speech. I know it's a basic right but still... Thank God that it exists in our country.

2. What I hate about channels like NDTV is that they're also serving roles of MTV and V by showing trailers. When I turn on a news channel I expect to see news and good coverage on that. Not the latest trailer or song. Not an infinite amount of ad's. That's what Zoom and Mtv are for. I think they might as well create a channel for Ad's and keep the rest minimal.

3. What is the first thing you learn about report writing in school? You the tell the news AS IT IS. YOU DO NOT EXPRESS YOUR OPINION. This is exactly what channels like Aaj tak and Zee News aren't doing. They make everything so negative. It's as if the channel itself has a point of view "The country is fucked". I'm sorry, that's for the viewer's to decide, NOT YOU. Compare a news story on NDTV and Aaj Tak. I think NDTV does a great job of delivering it professionally. Aaj Tak on the other hand, exaggerates it's with it's dramatising (and somewhat undertrained) reporters and overly critical statements. It's not story telling.

4. I appreciate the Media following up on Jessica Lal, Nitish Kataria and other such cases. It is commendable and heart warming to know that justice has been given but I agree more with the judiciary view that they don't need to pressurize the case. When they report cases of rape, abuse where the victim has stood up for herself., that's good journalism. On some level it provides insight, comfort and maybe even courage for those who are going through the same thing. They don't need to bark and howl at the judges, lawyers. You should do your job and let others do theirs.

What the TV industry really needs is it's own Oprah Winfrey show which will tell those stories of courage. It will create awareness on sex education, Aids, verbal and mental abuse etc. And there will be people who will definitely relate to it and maybe even come out of their misery. I think when people hear real experiences it's hits that part of the brain where they become more aware and cautious of their surrounding. Today, it's no use pretending to be blind and just not paying attention to these issues. The world has changed and so should we.

No comments: